Friday, May 29, 2015

New (to us) vehicle

A month ago we borrowed my parents van to take the kids plus our niece up to an Iowa softball game and do a little shopping.  I have been against buying a minivan since I was a kid and my parents always bought them.  Well after taking 4 kids to Iowa City and shopping at Costco with plenty of room to spare I was sold.  I started looking online and Jeremy and I talked about it.  We knew we wanted to have a DVD player like my parents and a few other options were necessary.  Between the options we wanted, money we wanted to spend, and the color requirements (has to look good with the personalized Iowa plates!) the search narrowed quickly.  We thought we found one in Osky but it turned out that it did not have the DVD player.  We continued looking through cars.com and found one in Des Moines at Car City.  We had a few errands to run in Des Moines on Monday so we stopped by and looked at it.  The dealership was closed which was fine, the kids loved it, crazy kids!  I had transferred some money from a separate saving account we have and was waiting for that to come through and we also wanted to trade in our PT Cruiser.  I talked to someone at the dealership on the phone Tuesday and he said we could post date the check and work out a deal with our trade in. 
Tuesday after all my daycare kiddos were picked up we dropped our kids off at my parents and headed to Des Moines for a test drive.  We were able to get a good price for our trade in and get the asking price of the van down a little to a price we were all happy with.  We bought a 2011 gray Town & Country Touring L.  I was super excited/nervous to write a check and not go through financing and monthly payments.  It is a big deal to me that we were able to pay cash for our new van and still continue to not have any car payments.  Now we need to get busy saving up again to get our savings account back where we like to keep it.  Between that and trying to pay extra on our mortgage we are putting my new babysitting income to good use!



No comments:

Post a Comment