Thursday, February 6, 2014

Healthier Monster Cookies

We take our monster cookies very seriously around here!  I can remember making these with my mom all the time and now I do it with my children.  With our new focus on healthier eating I looked at the recipe and decided to try it with a few healthy substitutions.

Original recipe:
2 eggs
1 cup and 2 Tb brown sugar
5 Tb butter
1 cup peanut butter
1/2 cup and 2 Tb white sugar
1 1/3 t baking soda
3 cups oatmeal
M&M's
chocolate chips
Makes about 3 dozen

Today I make it with the following changes:
1/2 butter and 1/2 applesauce
1/2 skippy and 1/2 PB2 and water
baking blend truvia in place of white sugar, half as much
old fashioned oatmeal

The cookies batter was wetter than usual and took a little longer to bake.  The cookies did not spread out like they do sometimes and they are "chewier" than normal.  The kids and Jeremy all said they tasted great!  I would like to be able to sub something healthier for the brown sugar or at least part of it since there is a lot.  Maybe someday I will get really adventurous and buy some carob chips, or at least dark chocolate chips and dark M&M's!

I still need to get a sample to my favorite monster cookie lover and see if she approves!  I just finished my Advocare 24 day challenge and Jeremy is on his last week but I have been dying to bake so this was a good alternative!


No comments:

Post a Comment